Pages

I am a hot mess express going full throttle

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

My Office Diaries: Lunch Shunning

I work in what most would call, "A man's world."  Or at least I call it that.  Female appraisers just seem to be a minority.  And I now understand why this may be.  You get yelled at.  Lots of deadlines.  Not a lot of affirmation.  I'm going to add a little section to this blog.  Kind of like Betty Bridesmaid, but this will be more on the business side.  The Office Diaries.  Stories from Sass, Herrin.  Stories told by yours truly.  A lowly appraiser.  I truly believe that the office  TV show is our celebrity look alike if you know what I mean.  Here we go.  I try hard.  I'm the boss man's 1st born daughter.  Heir to the appraising throne if you will.  There's a hint of pressure + sarcasm there folks.  I have to try harder so I don't get judged.  I have to drive to Pregnal, SC to look at a double wide, so there doesn't appear to be any special treatment.  Boo.  It's incredibly glamorous if you catchg my drift...  Our office is pretty much all boys.  With exception to Kathy (who runs the show) and Jennifer (but she is part time and has a kidlet, so I don't see her much).  So it's moi+7 boys.  Everyday.  All day.  Most re-occurring conversations are usually about SEC vs. ACC, weaponry, food, inappropriate things, Star Wars and food.  I can deal with most.  The upstairs is significantly better than the downstairs.  Luckily I made it to a nook in the upstairs.  Thank God.  So lately I have been getting the lunch shaft.  And I don't know why.  At the beginning the boys used to ask me to lunch.  Now.  NEVER.  Except for Herb/dad/boss/angel.  He will ask me sometimes.  They all get up and talk about where they want to go.  Then they leave.  No asking me if I would like to join.  Well, maybe they ask like 1/28 times.  I can't figure it out.  I mean, I know that I'm not the coolest cat in the yard, but I'm a good lunch buddy.  Honest.  I have a good track record.  But, I seem to get the Sass, Herrin shaft most days.  So I chill in my nook until they all leave.  Then I got grab something.  Or I don't.  I'm not complaining, I'm just stating the facts.  Today Dad came in and said he would be back.  I was a tad suspicious, so I naturally asked him of his whereabouts.  He said he was going to lunch with Andrew and Follin. (insert invite here...NOT)  He says, "maybe we can go tomorrow."  (uh hello pops.  why not today?  with the group.  sheesh)  Luckily for him, I had already made plans to meet Biz (yes, I am not a loser.  I have friends.)  So we ended up walking out all together.  Once outside and walking separate directions, they ask where I'm going.  I say lunch and walk off.  Dad finally yells across the parking lot, "want to come with us?" Um, hello?  That would have been a nice offer while inside.  Not while I look all wounded and sad.  High tailing it to my car...    In my most tough girl voice I respond with, "no."  Yeah.  I showed them.... They probably have no clue.  Their loss.

On to other news.  Mr. Burbage died.  He owned Burbage's on Broad St.  My grandmother used to take us there to get cokes and candy.  And in college I lived on Gadsden and Beaufain St. sophomore year.  I most likely ate a sandwich from there 4/5 days of the week.  Such a sweet man.  Truly an end of an era.  Here's to you Mr. Burbage.  You can read more about him HERE 


Tonight I have been dabbling in some holiday music.  Just baby steps.  I don't want to over do it too soon.  But, let me enhance your musical journey right quick.  Buy Ben Rector's Christmas CD as well as She & Him's Christmas CD.  Super chill.  Trust me.

I'm signing out,

SRS

No comments:

Post a Comment